Alluding to an era yet to come, even in our time, Jeremiah prophesied:
19 Yahveh, my strength and my stronghold, And my refuge in the day of distress, To You the nations (ha goyim – the gentiles) will come From the ends of the earth and say, "Our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, Futility and things of no profit." 20 Can man make gods for himself? Yet they are not gods! 21 "Therefore behold, I am going to make them know— This time I will make them know My power and My might; And they shall know that My name is Yahveh." Jeremiah 16:19-21 (NASB)
Literally the Hebrew phrase אך שקר (ak sheqer) means “only lies”. The translators of the New American Standard Bible interpreted it less harshly as “nothing but falsehood”. Picking up on verse 20, the translators of the New International Version render it “nothing but false gods“. But in Hebrew these gentiles from the ends of the earth are confessing to Yahveh that they have inherited only lies from their fathers. So, who are these gentiles? Surely they are not gentile Christians; or are they? Let’s examine some of the things that gentile Christians have inherited from our church fathers.
- Messiah’s name is Jesus.
- Y'shua was born on December 25.
- Three wise men brought gifts to Y'shua while he was in the manger.
- Y’shua’s ministry lasted 3 ½ years.
- Y'shua rode into Yerushalayim on the foal of a donkey on Palm Sunday.
- The Last Supper was the Passover meal.
- Y'shua was crucified on Good Friday.
- Y'shua rose from the dead on Easter.
- Y'shua ascended to the father 40 days after His resurrection.
- Sunday is Yahveh’s Sabbath.
- Gentiles should not keep Yahveh’s appointed times (Passover/ Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, Shavuot, Yom T’ruah, Yom Kippur or Sukkot).
- The baptism in the Holy Spirit and supernatural gifts listed in 1Cor 12 have passed away and are not for today.
- Some people were predestined for salvation and others for perdition.
Each of these statements are held by some or all of the gentile church. Each is a doctrine that our church Fathers have inherited and passed on to us. Each of them are false – lies if you will. Someday those who hold these doctrines will stand before Yahveh and say: “Our fathers have inherited only lies”.
A passage that goes hand in hand with Jeremiah 16:19-21 is Zechariah 8:23:
23 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'In those days ten men from all the nations will grasp the garment of a Jew, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."'" (NASB)
I believe that this prophesy is being fulfilled in our time as Jewish believers are helping the gentile Church return to its Hebrew Roots!
In this series, I will examine the Inheritance of lies that we have received from our fathers.
 This passage is in the context of days to come when Yahveh will have returned the ten northern tribes to the Land of Israel. See verse 14. In our time Judah has been returned, but not “the lost tribes of Israel” which were thoroughly dispersed among the gentiles by the Assyrians.